Monday 16 October 2017

Ubud 3

My last morning in Ubud, time to go back to the coast. Since Grab car drivers were not welcome in Ubud (there were signs banning share car services), I had to hire a regular taxi or take a shuttle. I asked the guesthouse to arrange a shuttle for me. The earliest one could come was 12:30.

I went looking for lunch in the town and explored the east end of the main drag. Not much there except this fancy roundabout.

Eventually I found a small warung on the same lane where I had bought a postcard at a bookshop and sent it off at the post office opposite. It was run by friendly women and made small meals. I ordered some spring rolls with a bottle of a local tea soda, Tebs. The rolls didn't disappoint, they were freshly made on their tiny stove.

Durians always generated mixed feelings. I was pleased to see them but sad that I could not buy and consume any. I had no way to open them and they would be unwelcome in any lodging.

As it turned out the shuttle was about 45 minutes late, probably due to arriving passengers. While waiting outside the guesthouse, I watched this lanky chicken saunter all over the street and help itself to some water from the flower offering outside the premises.

The ride to the lowlands was unremarkable. I was dropped of in the centre of Kuta where taxi drivers immediately swarmed around me. I had a cool ice coffee in a nearby café and on leaving, called a Grab car to take me to my chosen hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment